Thursday 2 February 2017

A Screech Owl

Yesterday after school, Sophie headed up to the horse stable to clean out Maisie's stall.  She was only gone a minute when she came tearing back into the house.

MOM. YOU HAVE TO COME AND SEE THIS!  THERE'S AN OWL UP AT THE BARN!

What?  An owl?

I put on my stuff and grabbed my camera.....thinking that it would probably be gone by the time I got out there!


It was so small!  It was sitting up in the window above the door....see it?


And it just kept watching us....and we all kept watching it.  Enthralled.




It even watched the cat...


I was a little intimidated by it.  I know so little about owls!  I was afraid that it might...at any minute...swoop down and attack us!  Those claws look so nasty!  Sophie wanted to go into the barn and get on with her chores but I said not to disturb it.


After a little bit of googling we learned that it's a screech owl.

A beautiful visitor.

Brenda




4 comments:

  1. I've been watching for my owls for a week or more but there is no sign of them yet. A couple of winters ago we were watching what we thought was a mouse just off the back porch. All of a sudden this HUGE white owl dropped out of the sky and grabbed it. He sat there for a few minutes with his wings outstretched, watching us watching him, then took off with an ERMINE in his claws. It was absolutely spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.