Friday 4 August 2017

Hay and a Funeral Cake?

It's AUGUST!

We FINALLY got some summer weather last week and we got some hay in...but we aren't done yet!  It's raining again today....and it rained yesterday...and it's suppose to rain tomorrow.  But we are thankful that we got some in.


Sophie had a birthday!  Hard to believe that she is already 10.  She is very organized in her celebrations....it was 3 days....including a sleepover party.


I've been baking and decorating.  Lots of summer celebrations that need cake or cupcakes or pie!






This one was for a family bbq of the Donnelly's and McIntyre's.


Johanna saw the plans on the table and thought it was a funeral cake....


She thought Donnelly McIntyre had died and this was the cake for his funeral.


Ummmm. NO.  And then I wasn't sure if I should make the cake according to my plan.  Because maybe it looked like a funeral cake.  No one has ever requested a funeral cake...I'm not even sure if there is such a thing....


But I went ahead with the plan and it was all fine.  I don't know of anyone named Donnelly McIntyre.

The farmhouse has been so busy!  We are completely booked this summer.  There have been so many lovely families that have come to stay.  I overheard a little girl say to her Dad...."But I feel so sad, Dad"...as he was packing their things into the car to leave.  Goodbyes are always hard.....especially when there are kittens and hens and horses involved.

We have a zucchini problem once again....but I'm managing to give them away as lots of people really don't have good gardens this year!

Terry planted a row of beets and I'm not really sure what to do with them.  I have never tried a pickled beet and I don't want too....and it seems like an awful lot of work.  I think I will boil some and see what happens.  Apparently they are one of those superfoods....but we shall see if the kids think that beets are super....

Brenda



2 comments:

  1. Try roasting them in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper! My kids love them like that - we sprinkle goat cheese and fresh parsley on when they come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara! I will try that....sounds delicious! I was surprised when I pulled a couple from the garden yesterday. They aren't as big as I thought....the greens are super big. I'm going to leave them another week before I cook some up.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.