Friday 23 November 2012

Baking with Dates

I LOVE to bake.  I have a problem when I turn on my oven...I just can't make one thing.  I have to make a least two different things.  I bake in the evenings...it's my way to relax. 

I've baked cakes, cookies, pies, muffins, breads, buns, squares and brownies over the years.  I have all my favourite recipes written out in a book.  This book is almost sacred.  I had to rewrite it all in 2009 because my old book was falling apart.  I had started writing recipes out when I was in Grade 8.  I remember when I started and my Mother asked what I was doing.  I told her I was preparing for when I would leave and I would need all these recipes.  She laughed. Then I left and took the recipe book with me.  Then I think she cried because we had all been using MY recipe book!

A couple months ago I realized that I had never made a date square.  I don't know why.  But I decided that it was necessary that I make a good date square.

I googled for recipes and I found this.

The first time I made it, I thought it was really yummy...but really sweet.  It sort of made my brain twirl.  So I made it again and I didn't put any sugar in the dates.  It was better but still sweet. 

The night I was making the date square I also tried this recipe.  These cookies are SO YUMMY.  They are a nice change from the usual chocolate chip.  I have made 3 batches of these in the last three weeks.  I took a batch out to the CWL ladies this morning as they needed some sweets for a funeral luncheon.

Dates are good....a new favourite around here.

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.