Tuesday 22 January 2019

A Thermometer

Terry asked me to buy a thermometer last week.  And I did. 

He wanted a big enough one that we could read inside but the thermometer is outside.  It is.

He put it up right outside the door so when I come down the stairs in the morning I can see that it's winter temperature outside.  I already knew this but now it's staring in my face.

He thinks it's great because we can see the actual temperature.  He's all about numbers and data.  I'm not so much.  And he remembers all numbers and data.  I don't.

He will ask me what the outside temperature reading was in the truck when I get home from somewhere and I always say....I don't know....I never looked.  It's winter temperature.

The kids are enjoying a second day on bus cancellations due to the extreme cold outside.  It's not because of snow or freezing rain it's because it's cold out.  I don't remember them ever cancelling for cold weather before.  It's not like it's unusual.  It's just winter.  But whatever....I don't make those decisions.  When we were kids we were lucky when we got a snowday because of snow.  I remember my friends talking about the bucket of sand at the door of the bus...how they would spread it out and all help push when the bus went off the road.

I asked Terry this morning if school would have been cancelled in the old days when our parents walked 3 miles to school and it was -40 C....he just looked at me sort of stunned.  What do you think?  he said.  Of course school wasn't cancelled!  I was thinking about it and said...but they didn't have modern day snow suits and warm mitts and stuff! 

And he said they didn't even have thermometers!  They had no idea how cold it was!  They just kept on keeping on.....

And that's what you do when you farm....

Only we are super lucky because we have a thermometer and we can see just how cold it is.

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.