Thursday 12 April 2018

Lambs, Cakes and Cookies

It's snowing.  And it's suppose to snow tomorrow and the next day and the next day...

There are over 40 new lambs in the barn!  They are crazy silly.  They jump on their mothers' backs and run laps and hop crazy all over the place.


There were 2 sets of triplets and they were all doing well until we noticed one day that one wee little lamb wasn't getting enough milk....so I've been bottle feeding him.  I think his name is Darryl. His brothers names are Darryl and Larry.  Or maybe he's Larry....I can't keep track of it all.  I feed him and give him love and he follows me around outside.

The lambing all went pretty well.  There was only one night that it was minus twenty and the wind was howling and Terry woke me up at 3:30am and said that there were twins on the doormat that needed some help.  They were COLD and wet.  I worked with them for 2 hours...warming them with the hairdryer and talking to them and rubbing them down.  By 5:30am they were drinking some colostrum from a bottle and 7:30am they were back out with their mother.  She accepted them back and they are all good.

We've never had this many lambs this quickly and with the weather so cold we need to keep them all inside.  So we let the ones that haven't lambed yet outside for the day and then bring them in at night.  I'm always keeping an eye on the ones outside because some of them can lamb pretty quick.  I knew that this ewe was going to lamb but I couldn't convince her to come into the barn so I let her lamb her first outside...

and then she followed me in when I was carrying her lamb.  She was still busy cleaning off the first when the second one arrived.  She seems oblivious to the whole thing.


I broke the sac and wiped its nose so it could live....as she wasn't paying much attention to it!


It wasn't long before they were both up and looking for a suck.


And they sucked.  The lambs have sucked and the calves have sucked.  That's all we talk about....that's all we ask each other.....Did it suck?  Reminds me of this post from years ago...here.  Nothing has changed!

There is no spring yet but I can dream of it with buttercream flowers....




Today I made slice and bake cookies for the first time.  I've been missing out.  These are gourmet amazing!


When Lydia got home she asked if I made cookies and I said yes and she asked if she could have one and I said yes.  And then she said WHERE are they?  And I said...you are looking at them.  And she said those aren't cookies...those are pieces of bread.  But she took one bite and said....can I have two?

YES.

I doubled the batch.....and they are disappearing!

The recipe is from Sally's Baking Addiction.  It's here.  They are Salted Pistachio Chocolate Chunk Slice and Bake Cookies and they are yummy!

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.