Thursday 25 July 2013

Sophie's Spuds

The hay is plentiful.  We sold a couple of loads.  The buyer came and left his two wagons for us to load with square bales.

Terry hitched the wagons to the back of the truck.  He would have the job of piling the hay on the wagons....Johanna, Grady and Jack were going to walk along and pick up the hay and throw it onto the wagon.  My job was to drive the truck.....the easy job!!...with Sophie and Lydia in the back seat riding along.

As we started around the field, I was concentrating on going slow enough and keeping in a straight line.  Then I heard Jack at the back window....we was saying that he would have a family order of fries, some ribs, a few hamburgers....all with different condiments.  The girls were listening intently. Then he walked away and continued to pick up hay.  The girls frantically got to work in the back seat....pretending to cook all the food.  They were making all the 'pretend' noises...and I was trying to pay attention to the job that I was suppose to be doing.  I was listening for the shout of 'whoa' or 'stop' or 'go' or 'slow down'.

This continued all the way around the field.  Jack would come up to the window and place another large order of food.  The girls were LOVING IT.

Once when he approached the window, Sophie rolled it up and shouted at him, "I'm sorry sir, but we are closed!"  And then the giggling was intense.

At one point, I heard Sophie shout, "Do you want fries with that?" as Jack was walking by with a bale of hay.

It made the job of picking up the hay much more fun....it was all a game.....for Jack and the girls and I.

When we were finished and we were all back in the truck riding home, Sophie told Terry that she wanted to run a chip stand in Douglas.  He told her that that was a great idea....and she should call it 'Sophie's Spuds'.

He had no idea where her idea had come from....as he was unaware of what had just taken place while he was piling the hay on the wagon.

Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.