Monday 22 July 2013

Potato Bugs

These bugs are little buggers.


I go through the potato patch EVERY morning and pick them....except Sunday.


The multiply really fast....so you have to keep on top of it.  They will eat the entire potato plant and leave you with nothing.  When I ask people about their potato bugs they usually roll their eyes or shake their head....either they have given up and 'dusted' the plants or they just started to dig and eat the potatoes.  Some people just look at me...like I'm crazy....they don't even bother to plant potatoes anymore.  It's just too much work.


It is a lot of work.


Growing produce is a lot of work.  People wonder why our grocery stores are full of imported vegetables that we could grow here.  It's because it's a lot of work....and people want cheap food.



I take our 'extra' produce to the farmers' market.  Someone complained to me about the high price of $2 for a bag of my fresh garden leaf lettuce.
 

Seriously.


$2 is too much?  Work the ground.  Plant the seeds.  Hoe.  Weed.  Water.


Pick some potato bugs.


Just try it.

 


Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.