Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Bull Had an Itch

As I was leaving for my Farmers' Market meeting last evening, I noticed the bull was having a good scratch up against a fence post.  He was really rubbing it good...and I was a little concerned that he would take it out.  But I had to get going....and I wasn't going to mess with the bull.

Then when I was coming home from the meeting, it was just getting dark and I noticed the bull was giving his neck a really good scratch at a picket in the field.  And I thought....that guy's got a problem.  I was thinking that he was going to shove the picket right into his neck.  But I wasn't going to mess with the bull.  If he is itchy....he can scratch.

At 3 a.m. this morning, Sophie came into our room crying.  She was scared.  It was black dark in her room...the power was out.  I got up, took her back to bed and pulled up the blind to give her room some light from the moon.  She said that she was fine.

I headed back to bed...but I was thinking...WHY would the power be out?  I took a look out the windows and saw that the neighbours' yard light was on.  The little village of Douglas was all lit up.  Why did we have no power?

I went back to sleep.

Terry said that when he got up...I think it was shortly after 4:30 a.m.....he could see the hydro pole down in the field and the bull was resting beside it.  At first, he was afraid that maybe the bull had been hurt...but he was fine. 


This was the only remaining 'old pole' in our field.  The others had all been replaced at the time of the 1998 ice storm....because they had all fallen over.  But this old pole had survived...until the bull got a hold of it last night!


We had the new pole replaced by 8 a.m. this morning.  Then we waited for the hydro crew to arrive to get us back on line.  They came at 11 a.m.  We are back to normal now and the bull is relaxing in the field.  His itch seems to be gone.


Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.