Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Last Day of Winter

Today is the last day of winter and we are enjoying another snowy day.

Not really.

I'm tired of being cold.

I'm tired of putting wood in the furnace.

I'm tired of finding pails of frozen water in the hen house.

I'm tired of walking carefully so I don't slip on the ice.

I'm tired of soaking wet snowsuits and mittens and boots...

I want to open the windows....

and barbeque a t-bone steak...

and go for a walk in my running shoes...

and put all the coats and boots and mittens and hats away.

I want to hang the clothes on the line...

and dig in the garden and plant seeds...

and put bouquets of weeds in drinking glasses on the table....

no, those are actually 'wildflowers'.

okay...I'd done.  I know...the pity train derailed.  I will get a straw and suck it up.

It's still winter.  So, today I will eat more comfort food.  I'm putting a roast of beef in the oven.  I'm baking my favourite bird bread.  I posted about it here.  But it's gotten even better since then.  Terry bought me a bag of 'Stone Ground Whole Grain Flour from Heritage Hard Red Spring Wheat...RED FIFE'.  It's certified organic and it's from down the road at Madoc, Ontario. 

I'm not much of a bread eater.  But this homemade bread is not like bread.  It's like 'real' bread.....it's 'meaty'.  You just need to put butter on it and maybe eat it with a piece of sharp cheddar cheese....and then you feel good.  You just can't do that with store bought bread.

So, I'll eat my bread and my roast with gravy and tomorrow will be spring.

Brenda 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Let me know if you enjoyed this post and please share it with a friend.